About Chris' Travel and Photo Tips

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Wildlife photography certainly has it's share of challenges; i.e., being in the right place at the right time with the right lighting.  Plus, one needs to be armed with the right tools, positive vibes, and best shooting techniques on auto-pilot.

So, when I prep for safaris and wildlife photography trips - with a focus on African big cats, adorabe polar bear babies and endangered Bengal tigers - there are a zillion things that I try to do in order to insure a successful trip with the least amount of hassles.

I'm a list junkie and this started out as the typical what to bring pack list on my first African safari with Andy Biggs back in 2004.  As you will see, the list kept growing because the "whys and how" are just as important as the "whats". 

After 30+ safari/wildlife photography trips, I painstakingly documented what worked and didn't; ranging from travel logistics, gear weight and clothing for extreme temps; through shooting techniques, tools, image workflow, backing up tactics, and pre-trip action items. That's because:
  • Reducing total travel weight continues to be a major challenge and sneaking 50 lbs. of gear in carry-on is a never ending  melodrama due to increasingly enforced carry-on rules.  Plus, it's more difficult to disguise on petite shooters.
  • Reducing travel stress is always top of mind.  So I strive to make travel workflow as efficient and comfortable as possible aka "no gotchas" when traveling 35 hours door:door; and,
  • I want good value for the photo and travel tools that I invest in.  I have no affiliations with any of the vendors mentioned in this blog.  And, every ounce needs to have a payback without being penny wise and pound foolish.

Since I often get asked for advice, I'm sharing some of my action items in this living document.  Check back frequently as I'm always updating:  1) Chris' Packing, Travel and Image Storage Tactics which includes extensive Extreme Cold Weather tips (updated Sept. 1st), 2) How to Shoot from a Safari Land Rover, Safari Prep and Image Workflow plus Packing List (updated Sept. 5th), and 3) Avoiding International Air Travel Grief (updated Sept. 5th).  For non-photographers, the Hack the Hackers and ID Thieves checklist should be a valuable resource (updated July 16th) as well as Don't Leave Money on the Table - Travel Wear and Stuff (updated Sept. 1st).  Also, my extensive summary of sunscreen ingredients under For Creatures of Comfort item #23 (updated Aug. 2ndis an important read. Yes, it's a ton to do and think through; but, no pain, no gain.  Also, I'd rather be over-prepared than mildly handicapped.  
 
Chris
www.wildliferhythms.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2010-2011 The Wildlife Photograph Tips All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by Herdiansyah Hamzah | Published by Borneo Templates | Powered by Blogger.com.